Chemical disinfectants and antiseptics – Quantitative suspension test for the evaluation of viricidal activity in the medical area
Products that can be tested
Hygienic handrub/handwash and antiseptics/disinfectants for use in instrument disinfection by immersion, surface disinfection and textile disinfection. Includes products for use in clinical settings, public institutions, laundry, workplaces and households.
Description of the test
- This method has been adapted from the protocol in the EN 14476:2013+A1:2015 standard for testing of chemical disinfectants and antiseptics against viruses.
- The test method provides a quantitative evaluation of the antiviral activity of antiseptics or disinfectants when the test virus is exposed to the sample for predefined times under conditions that mimic clean and/or dirty real-life conditions.
- Antiseptics/disinfectants are incubated with the selected test virus(es) for predetermined times and temperatures that are suitable for the test product.
- Clean and dirty environments are generated by spiking tests with serum proteins, red blood cells and other appropriate interfering substances.
- A 4-log reduction in virus titre is required to pass this test.
Third Party Validation
On passing this test, the tested product can be labelled as having been tested by airmid following a protocol modified from the EN 14476:2013+A1:2015 standard in support of any claim relating to the test and data received.